City
Birdsboro
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2024 Tesla MY, 2018 Ford Fusion SE
After our 2018 Fusion SE threw a P0302 DTC for a cylinder 2 misfire, and was running a bit rough, I replaced the ignition coil and all spark plugs. After 100 miles of driving, it was running rough again. That’s my mechanical limit.. after an initial attempt at repair, I took it to my local repair shop. He validated my work and put in a fresh battery (first replacement of the OEM battery) and cleared the codes again.

after 50 miles, the code came back and it was blowing white smoke. My local guy then found the Customer Satisfaction Program 21N12 - A 1.5L - GTDI engine - short block replacement after coolant intrusion service bulletin. He directed me to ford for a free engine replacement.

OK. My luck isn’t that good that my car with 69,800 miles would actually meet all the bulletin detail requirements for a new engine free of charge by Ford.

I made an appointment with the Ford dealership I bought the car new from. To prepare myself for dropping my car off and asking for what I wanted, I vetted out that my car would meet the detailed program requirements.

I vetted everything out except for sticking a scope down into cylinder 2 to verify Coolant intrusion. I saw on you tube an alternate way to check for Coolant intrusion by adding color dye to your coolant, leaving the spark plug out of the suspect cylinder, putting a piece of white paper over the suspect cylinder and starting the car. If coolant is in the cylinder, it will splatter on the white piece of paper with the colored dye added.

Instead of spending money to validate coolant intrusion, I trusted that my coolant being low, blowing white smoke and the DTC’s P0217, P0203 and P0316 where enough for me to ask ford to validate the rough idle problem. If no other solutions exist, make sure they were thinking about the engine replacement program my local mechanic made me aware of.

FORD ACCEPTED MY MECHANICS DIAGNOSIS OF MY FUSIONS PROBLEM!

I am thrilled to be getting my car fixed, free of charge. The problem definitely is a Ford design issue. I’m happy that Ford stepped up and is delivering a solution. I hear and read so many dealership horror stories, I’m just glad this one is working out. The horror stories are why I educated and verified everything I had the ability and skill to do. I submitted the paperwork I documented how my car fit the details of the bulletin. I did that just to show Ford I understood and was aware of the program.

they did not say how long it will take. I’m guessing a week or so.