City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Does my 2011 Fiesta SE have a fuse for the trunk release??

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
It uses the same one for the Power Door locks.

You did not specify that you are doing this to the 5-doord hatchback or the 4-door sedan - so we're guessing...

Some of us whom own a hatchback, still call it "trunk" [idea]

So if you can use the key fob to unlock the doors and yet the rear hatch won't open using the keyfob.

And...

The rear release button on the rear hatch cowl panel above the license plate won't open the rear hatch or trunk.

IF those conditions fail...

IF you have the sedan, 4-door - you'll have to open and unfold the rear passenger seats and check the condition of the rear hatch internal release - if it's been damaged or not properly seated, this can prevent the relay and switch from operating and unlatching the catch - because the catch is stuck due to that emergency pull handle is not letting the catch properly seat itself.

1721576921092.png

In the Hatchback, the process doesn't have an emergency pull handle - but it is a good idea to see if placing your hand on the rear panel and pushing down while operating either the button or the keyfob - and seeing if releasing some tension on the catch can help make the system move that latch so you can open it - this pressing down effort might help.

Once it's opened - see if the catch part, the one on the body side - not the hatch, is stuck or pressed in and down preventing the catch on the hatch side from having some movement to release the catch when the relay operates - the seal on the lip of that lid (Body side seal) can also prevent the latch and catch from operating because the seal is binding the catch and latch together.

You may need - by using TORX wrench - loosen the catch (Body side fixed latch) so the rear hatch can be then re-seated and the catch and latch are not binding together - and reset / reseat the latch bolts once there's enough space for slack and take the tension the seal can put on it, taken off of it to help the catch release from the latch.

Last edited:
OP
G
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
My focus is a sedan...I can open doors with the key because the fob itself is broke inside..I will have to get a new key and have it programmed. But button under the license plate isn't releasing the trunk.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That's why I asked about that rear hood latch "handle" - if it's ok, yet the button does not work, then suspect the wiring to the rear trunk lid.
  • - you'll have to remove the felt/hard cover to reveal the superstructure and locate the button switch
    • IF the license plate bulbs were worked on - the switch may be damaged - especially if the bulbs themselves and the holder that contains that switch - had to be moved or worked on, the button itself can be stuck in a binding position because the grommet/gasket itself is preventing the button from retracting - releasing the power control of the switch.
  • You can also see a code-message on the console display telling you you have a Trunk Lid open - but only if the trunk lid can be opened and once opened you can hear the switch button when pressed, operate the latch.
  • - the switch uses a gasket
    • So if it's been compromised, it's lifespan of operation gets pretty short from all that water and salt dirt and corrosion that takes place back there.
  • Now if the trunk button is not working but you can release from the keyfob - the issue then is isolated to that trunk, it's lid and or any recent work done back there
IT may also help to know if there was any work done to the rear seats or upper headliner - you might need to have that person retrace their steps to see if they've put back all the components and secured the wiring harness correctly.

This also means that if anyone worked in the trunk area, they may have pinched the seal or affected the tension on the latch - preventing it from properly seating (or pinched wiring put the covers back on) - it's binding and can't even operate (You won't hear a noise) because the latch is stuck and bound to the catch. That is - if you can't release the trunk even with the keyfob.

You did check fuses - correct?

I've heard of this switch fail occurring when someone needed to open up the rear headliner to fix a bulb in the 3rd brake light.